Student volunteer/internship requirements are attached in the PDF file below.
In 12th grade, students will engage in service-learning internships or volunteer opportunities that will focus on improving health outcomes in the local community. Mentors within the corporate, non-profit and university systems will work with the Work-Based Learning Coordinator, course instructor and students to design and implement projects that will address both identified health-related needs within the community and the learning objectives of the students.
The projects will provide students with the opportunity to work with health professionals in a professional atmosphere and work collaboratively to provide tangible deliverables that will be beneficial to community partners and their clientele.
Each project will focus on one or more of the following aspects of health services: nutrition, advocacy, public health, biomedicine, and in-patient care. All classes will incorporate research, presentation and critical-thinking skills through project-based learning.
- Fuse core content knowledge obtained in major subject areas with 21st century skills focused around critical thinking and problem solving, communication, collaboration, and creativity/innovation.
- Give students practical experience that will help make their classroom instruction more relevant and meaningful.
- Students will master new learning concepts and develop a stronger sense of social responsibility and civic awareness.
- Students will make direct connections with and gain first-hand exposure, in a professional environment, to a variety of health service professionals and professions.
- Help students identify personal career interests and skills/aptitudes for specific careers before they commit to a college or degree program.
- Projects conducted through the course will positively impact health outcomes in the community.
- Enable partners to build on and expand the impact of their programs and experience in the community of South Los Angeles.
Previous Student Internship Locations:
- Eggleston Youth Center
- Natural History Museum
- Dandy Lion Transit
- Maxim Healthcare Services
- Harbor UCLA Medical Center
- Southern California Gas Company
- Kaiser Permanente
- Providence Little Company of Mary Torrance
- Premier Care Dental Group
- Over Hill Farms
- Garza Property Incorporated
- Social Justice Learning Institute
- Los Angeles County Animal Shelter
Student volunteer/internship requirements are attached in the files below.
Students, download and complete the Proof of Internship/Volunteer Experience form to get credit.